about RIAS Berlin
In January 2015, the “Association for a Democratic Culture in Berlin” (VDK e.V.) founded the “Department for Research and Information on Antisemitism Berlin” (RIAS Berlin). Alongside Jewish and non-Jewish organizations, RIAS Berlin has built up a Berlin-wide network for reporting antisemitic incidents.
As a contact point for victims of antisemitic incidents, RIAS Berlin is an advocate for their perspectives. That way, RIAS Berlin sensitizes society for the experiences and needs of the Jewish community with regard to antisemitism.
RIAS Berlin follows a victim-oriented approach and focuses on the needs and perception of those affected by antisemitism, their relatives or the witnesses of an incident. RIAS Berlin also records incidents that have not been reported to the police or do not constitute criminal acts, publishes these in accordance to the wishes of the victims and helps victims and witnesses find competent psycho-social, legal, anti-discrimination, victim or process counseling. RIAS Berlin thus enables victims and witnesses to use the strengths of civil society for their specific situation: At their request, civil society can make the authorities or political and media actors attentive to their experiences, and initiate a process towards solidarity.
The central principle of RIAS Berlin’s work is confidentiality: the persons affected decide what should be done with their reports.
To facilitate a demand-oriented counselling and registration of anti-Semitic incidents, RIAS cooperates with the following organisations:
- ZWST - Competence Centre for Prevention and Empowerment at the Central Board of Jewish Welfare in Germany
- Berliner Register - Berlin documentation-centres for recording right-wing extremist and discriminatory incidents
- VBRG e.V. - Association of Counselling Centres for Persons Affected by Right-wing, Racist and Anti-Semitic Violence
- ADNB - Anti-Discrimination Network Berlin
- BMB - Federal Association for Mobile Counselling
- ReachOut - counselling centre for victims of right-wing extremist, racist or anti-Semitic violence
- JFDA - Jewish Forum for Democracy and against Anti-Semitism
- MBR - Mobile Counsel against Right-wing Extremism Berlin
RIAS is also cooperating with the following organisations:
- Jewish community of Berlin
- Amadeu Antonio Foundation
- AJC Berlin Ramer Institute
- Kassel Anti-Semitism Information Center
- Coordination Office for Stepping Stones, Berlin
- Central Council of Jews in Germany
- Community Security Trust (CST)
- Moses Mendelssohn Center of European Studies (University of Potsdam)
- Anne Frank Center
- International Institute for Education and Research on Antisemitism (IIBSA)